The third in our acclaimed series of recordings presents the music for Solemn Mass of Corpus Christi, featuring polyphonic masterpieces by Josquin DesPrez, the great Franco-Flemish composer whose work inaugurated the musical High Renaissance. Included are Josquin’s Missa Pange lingua, his motets Ave Maria…Virgo serena and Ave Christe, immolate, along with the Gregorian chants proper to this beloved feast.
“A heavenly recording…exquisitely sung. One can simply close one’s eyes and have the impression of being in heaven.” Michael Davies, The Remnant, iv/1997.
“…choral renditions, beautifully flowing and lucid, of Josquin’s music…a program of some handsome choral singing in both polyphonic and chant music.” John Barker, American Record Guide, May/June 1997.
- Introit: Cibavit eos (plainsong, mode ii)
- Kyrie eleison: Missa Pange lingua (Josquin)
- Gloria in excelsis Deo: Missa Pange lingua (Josquin)
- Collect (plainsong)
- Epistle (plainsong)
- Gradual: Oculi omnium (plainsong, mode vii)
- Alleluia: Caro mea (plainsong, mode vii)
- Sequence: Lauda Sion (plainsong, mode vii)
- Gospel (plainsong)
- Credo: Missa Pange lingua (Josquin)
- Offertory Antiphon: Sacerdotes Domini (plainsong, mode iv)
- Motet at the Offertory: Ave Maria, Virgo serena (Josquin)
- Preface (plainsong)
- Sanctus: Missa Pange lingua (Josquin)
- Benedictus: Missa Pange lingua (Josquin)
- Pater Noster (plainsong)
- Agnus Dei: Missa Pange lingua (Josquin)
- Communion Antiphon: Quotiescumque manducabitis (plainsong, mode vii)
- Motet at the Communion: Ave Christe, immolate (Josquin)
- Postcommunion Collect & Dismissal (plainsong)